Thursday, May 10, 2012

Progress on Memory Quilt

Well this last weekend I finished the top of my first memory quilt. It was a little tricky putting on the corner Dresden Plates. I could not decide which way I wanted them to face.


I finally decided I wanted them to face out. I am going to put the backing on and have the points of the Dresden remain showing. I love how it makes the corners look so interesting.

It was a little hard getting it all to line up correctly, but after getting the first corner done the rest went along quite well.




It looks very interesting. I saw on Pinterest someone decide to do their corners this way and I decided I just had to see what it would look like on my quilt. I really like the way they turned out.

I knew my hours on Pinterest would pay off at some point. Who else out there is addicted to it? I know I am. I just can not get enough of all those wonderful pictures, who ever thought of Pinterest is a genius.



I finished it up and ironed it out. Then I finagled my daughter into holding it up for pictures. She was so wonderful about it (not). She was soo busy watching TV and playing her Nintendo DS at the same time, I just had to interrupt.  Then of course her arms were not long enough and they were tired. Does anyone else have a teen like this? She just smiled at me and said dramatically, "Ok Mom, I guess I could help."  She is wonderful just complains sometimes while still doing what she is told.



The pictures are of my Grandmother Signe. She was the one who taught me how to sew and crochet. She was always sewing for something. She sewed for Cancer and for the Senior Center all the time. She used to sew and craft things for the Boutiques that happen during Christmas time too. She used to make most of my clothes when I was younger too. I have such wonderful memories of her at her sewing machine and me just hanging out with her. There are days I still miss her.



Here is a corner. I just love how it looks being pointed out. The colors are wonderful too. They are so Spring and it was nice using them. I really like that I found butterfly white fabric at the last minute. The center has flowers on the white that remind me of the Dresden flower Plate in the center. So I thought having butterflies on the white border would go great with the butterfly Dresdens in the center section.



What do you think. I love that there is a lot of negative space on the quilt. My next thing is to figure out what I want to quilt on it. I am not sure how to quilt it yet so I will have to really have to think on this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hope you all enjoyed this. My next project is to start repairing a antique quilt for a friend of mine. I should have some pictures of it next week for all to see. It is a Wedding Ring quilt and it feels and looks like it is made out of the old flour sacks or maybe vintage sheets. I will post pictures next week and see what you all think of it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the way you did the corners. It adds extra interest to the quilt and really sets off the center.

It's All About Quilting said...

This is just beautiful! I'm new to FMQ so I don't know what I'd quilt either. Of course the standard stippling probaby is what I'd in a pretty green in a large scale but...what do I know? I love the corners too. you should post the pin or something on how you did it.

Anonymous said...

Just love the way you did the corners! It adds so much to the quilt.