Monday, November 19, 2012

New Quilt

I recently finished a quilt for a baby shower this past weekend. I found out that the baby was a boy and decided I wanted to make a quilt for the new bundle of joy. Now this quilt I wanted to design and make myself and not from a pattern I bought. So the first thing I did was make a few drawings.


I tried out a few block designs first, but decided I wanted to make blocks that looked like pinwheels. I also wanted to make sure they all were not going in the same direction. Then I had to decide on what colors I wanted. I know she wanted bright colors but did not settle on any one color scheme, this was good for me since I love scrappy looks. I then decided on what I wanted in the center. As you can tell I am not a terrific drawer but I thought I wanted a hobby horse in the center.


After a while I thought about a few other different things in the center.

I finally settled on a train. Perfect, just what every little boy loves, trains!!

Now I thought that this process was going to be easy right, wrong. I have never designed and created a pattern and directions for a quilt before. This was going to be an interesting project.

By the time all was said and done, it took several weeks to come up with all of it and to then test the directions. But eventually it was a wonderful gift.



Here it is as the top is complete. I will post the more on the quilt as the week progresses.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving and stay safe.


No comments: