Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Antique Quilt



OK here it is, I have finally got pictures of the Antique Quilt I am restoring for a friend of mine. She received the quilt as a gift last year and wants to be able to use the quilt. She asked if I could repair it for her. She is not interested in the value of the quilt as an antique, she wants to be able to use it and pass it down to her daughter later.




It feels like there is no batting in it, but when I finally got the binding off last week there is very thin batting in it. From the looks of some of the fabrics I think they used old flour sacks for some.

The colors are light and airy, with the feeling of spring or summer. I really enjoy looking at each one. It seems the white and very light prints are the ones that are disintegrating the most.



I am not sure if you can see but the white fabrics are worn through and need to be replaced. Some of the fabrics I wish I could find now because I love the prints on them. There are so many different fabrics that you never get tired of looking at them.





Here are some more pictures of the wonderful old fabrics. I have no idea how old the quilt is but it is a wonderful find.


I just love the prints on these fabrics. All are hand pieced and hand quilted.

Someone spent a long time putting this quilt together. I hate to take it apart but I was asked to.



I hope you can see the hand quilting in this picture. I am still perfecting my close up pictures for my blog. I still need to work on it a little more.


Here is another picture of the fabrics, the white fabric is just falling apart as you move it around. You can see some of the wear in the picture.


If anyone has an idea of maybe how old the quilt might be, I would love to hear from you.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures. I will take some more as I fix it.

No comments: